Moxidectin and Ivermectin are popular antiparasitic drugs well known in the medical world. Their peculiarity is that you can use them both in veterinary medicine and for the treatment of people.
In this article we will discuss the efficacy and safety of Moxidectin and Ivermectin. Let’s find out the difference between them and what these medicines have in common.
Basic information about Ivermectin:
- Use in humans: head lice, pimples in rosacea, anguillulosis, crusted scabies, sarcoptic scabies or onchocerciasis.
- Use in veterinary medicine: parasitic worms in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Broad spectrum agent.
- It is available under the brand names Soolantra, Sklice, Stromectol and Vastreka.
- It has been sold since 1971 (as an agent for humans since 1987).
- It is available as oral tablets, as well as creams and lotions for external use (for humans) and suspensions (for animals).
Basic information about Moxidectin:
- Uses in humans: onchocerciasis.
- Use in veterinary medicine: preventing and controlling helminths such as kidney or heartworms.
- Broad spectrum agent.
- It is available under the brand names Cydectin and ProHeart 12.
- It has been sold since 1990 (as an agent for humans since 2018).
- It is available as oral tablets (for humans) and powder or solution (for animals).
These medicines have one identical indication. They treat onchocerciasis in humans. A doctor must decide what medication to use in your case. Only a licensed doctor can advise on the dosage and duration of treatment.
At the National Center for Biotechnology Information, you can find a study on the efficacy and safety of these drugs. It had the following results: Moxidectin is more effective than Ivermectin in treating onchocerciasis. But the difference in efficiency was minimal. It was only 1.5 percentage points.
Is Moxidectin the same as Ivermectin
Based on the above information about Moxidectin and Ivermectin, it is evident that they are different medicines. They have the same indications. But there are also significant differences between them. They have different active ingredients, which means there are differences in the effects.
In Australia, they use Moxidectin to treat animals (dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, etc.). However, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) did not approve it for use in humans. Ivermectin is TGA-approved for use in humans.
Ivermectin and Moxidectin are highly effective anthelmintics proven safe in clinical trials. They have the same indications, but they are different drugs with different therapeutic effects.
Do not use the medicines unless prescribed by a doctor. It can be risky. Only a doctor can decide which medication is best to use and for how long.