Ivermectin Overdose Symptoms in Humans. Mild and Severe Forms

Can one overdose on Ivermectin

You can overdose on any drug if you are not very responsible when taking it.

Ivermectin overdose can be mild or severe.

The symptoms of the mild form are as follows:

  • Rash;
  • Headache;
  • Dizziness;
  • Drowsiness;
  • Nausea;
  • Vomiting;
  • Stomach ache;
  • Diarrhea;
  • Mild tachycardia.

Severe Ivermectin intoxication can lead to:

  • Spasms;
  • Coma;
  • Metabolic acidosis;
  • Respiratory failure;
  • Decreased blood pressure.

Can you overdose on Ivermectin?

Can one overdose on Ivermectin? Yes, if one does not take it according to the instructions or as prescribed by a doctor.

The Missouri Poison Center reports many cases of accidental or intentional overdose of Ivermectin. At the same time, doctors say minor dosage errors rarely lead to problems.

According to reports of the National Poison Data System, which processes data from 55 national poison control centers, a sudden growth in Ivermectin overdose cases in the USA was in 2021. For example, in July-August 2021, the number of Ivermectin intoxications increased by 245%, from 133 to 459. And for the first 8 months of the current year, there were 1143 cases of Ivermectin intoxication.

Most cases were attempts to use the drug to treat or prevent COVID-19. And it was due to the misleading information spread by talk shows, political leaders and social media users. Most people who overdosed were using drugs designed to treat parasites in horses and cows.

A case of Ivermectin overdose in Australia is described on the University of Sydney website. A man with an overdose of Ivermectin who tried to treat COVID-19 with the drug was admitted to Westmead Hospital of Sydney. He had diarrhea and vomiting. The man bought Ivermectin and other non-approved COVID medicines online.

How much Ivermectin to overdose?

Doctors from the American poison control centers believe that Ivermectin toxic dose is more than 2 mg/kg of body weight.

If you, accidentally or intentionally, have taken the drug at such a dose, this should be a reason for immediate treatment in the hospital.

Conclusion

Ivermectin overdose is possible. Doctors say you can overdose on Ivermectin after taking the drug at a dose of more than 2 mg/kg of body weight. If you take this dose, you should go to the hospital for immediate help.

Most often, an overdose happens when people take Ivermectin for treating animals. Intoxication can be mild or severe.

Do not use Ivermectin to prevent or treat COVID-19!